Hi everyone! It’s Karissa from Sweet as a Cookie. I’m here again to share with you a recipe for Patriotic Cupcakes.
I love holidays. There’s just something about having a “theme” when baking and cooking that just excites me. The 4th of July is right around the corner and I cannot wait. We live 2 miles from lake Erie and every year they take out a big boat in the middle of the water and light off the fireworks. The first year we went my boyfriend and I packed a picnic. It was amazing seeing the reflection of the fireworks on the water. It’s almost like we’re on vacation every time we go up to the lake. I have attached an image link to the park/lake to help you get a better understanding of our little slice of paradise.
This year I think our parents are coming up to watch the firework show with us. Since we live so close it will be nice to be able to have a cook out before we head up and then after we can sit around a fire. I will be making these cupcakes again when the time comes. The combination of flavors in the frosting make these cupcakes all the better. What are your plans for the 4th? 🙂
Ingredients: (Yields 12 Cupcakes)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. clear vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup red Wilton Batter Bits or red sprinkles
- 1/4 cup blue Wilton Batter Bits or blue sprinkles
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp. heavy whipping cream or milk
- 1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. strawberry extract
- red gel food coloring
- 1/4 tsp. raspberry extract
- blue gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Once fluffy mix in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- With the mixer on low add in 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/8 cup of milk, another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the rest of the milk, and the rest of the flour mixture.
- Fold in the batter bits or sprinkles by hand.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with the prepared batter.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool before frosting.
- For the frosting; In another large bowl cream together butter, vanilla and heavy whipping cream.
- Once combined slowly mix in sifted powdered sugar.
- Mix until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Divide the frosting evenly between 3 small bowls.
- In one of the bowls mix in the strawberry extract and the red food coloring (this can be done by hand).
- In another bowl mix in the raspberry extract and the blue food coloring.
- Leave the 3rd bowl alone.
- To get the colors to pipe out in a swirl place each color into 3 smaller piping bags (I used 12 inch bags) and cut a small tip off of each.
- Cut the top off of a larger piping bag (I used a 16 inch bag) and attach a star tip.
- Stick the three smaller bags into the larger one, making sure all three tips made their way into the larger bags tip.
- Pipe how you normally would and enjoy!
You can find Karissa from Sweet as a Cookie Here:
If you enjoyed this recipe you might also enjoy these: