Move over plain ol’ sweet potatoes! These sweet and savory smashed sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish for any holiday spread! Smokey bacon, sweet maple syrup, butter and herbs turn this into an A+ treat!
- 3–4 large sweet potatoes sliced into 1/2 inch thickness
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 thick cut bacon slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
Potatoes- preheat oven to 400
- Clean potatoes with a scrubber and cut ends off. Slice into 1/2 inch thickness.
- Give each potato slice a pat of butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 for about 20-25 minutes or until fork tender.
- In a small cast iron pan, add diced bacon and render fat until bacon is crispy.
- Add in fresh herbs, and maple syrup and stir together until well mixed.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and smash them with your fork.
Add a generous spoonful of the maple bacon and herb mixture on top of each.
Place the potato slices back into the oven and broil for a few more minutes to crisp up the edges.
*You can adapt this recipe to your flavor liking by changing up the herbs.