It’s that time of year friends. When you look at your calendar and realize we’re in the second week of April and swimsuit season is inching closer and closer…While I love sharing our hearty chilly weather meals and delicious pasta dishes with you, I’m going to lighten it up around here! After all, when I think of spring and summer, I think of light, fresh, airy, and crisp and same goes with the food I make. I tend to lean more towards bright colors, fresh vegetables, and more cool or cold meals than warm because let’s face it…Turning on the oven when it’s 90 degrees out is not my idea of a good time! So today I thought I’d share with you my favorite chicken salad recipe. My skinny chicken salad with almonds and grapes is so good, that you won’t even realize you’re cutting calories…
Here’s what you’ll need…
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (baked in the oven with my chicken spice blend, cooled and shredded/cubed)
- 1 cup of diced celery, I include the leaves 🙂
- 1 granny smith apple, cored, peeled and diced small
- about 20 seedless red grapes, sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup mayo (I just can’t do light mayo, but feel free to!)
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
So what I do is chop up everything that needs to be chopped and toss it into my stand mixture with a paddle attachment. Then in a small bowl combine the mayo, yogurt, mustard, vinegar, and lemon juice and mix it with a whisk until everything is combined. Then I turn the stand mixer on and slowly pour the dressing in so it doesn’t splatter everywhere and season with salt and pepper.
Once everything looks well mixed I turn off the mixer and put the chicken salad in an airtight container with lid, so we have chicken salad for the rest of the week. This makes enough for about 6-8 wraps depending on how much you stuff it.
And that’s usually how we eat this, wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla with lettuce and sometimes avocados. Delish!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe 🙂 Tell me what you add into your chicken salad. I’d love to know…
Talk to you soon friends, take care!